By Keith Brown,Sarah Ogilvie
It will offer complete descriptions of the phonology, semantics, morphology, and syntax of the world’s significant languages, giving insights into their constitution, heritage and improvement, sounds, that means, constitution, and language kinfolk, thereby either highlighting their variety for comparative learn, and contextualizing them in accordance with their genetic relationships and nearby distribution.
Based at the hugely acclaimed and award-winning Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics, this quantity will supply an edited selection of nearly four hundred articles all through which a consultant subset of the world's significant languages are opened up and defined in updated terminology and authoritative interpretation, through the prime students in linguistics.
In highlighting the range of the world’s languages — from the thriving to the endangered and extinct — this paintings stands out as the first aspect of name to any language specialist drawn to this massive region. No different unmarried quantity will fit the level of language insurance or the authority of the individuals of Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World.
* awesome breadth of assurance: a complete collection of just below four hundred articles protecting the world's significant languages, language households, and category constructions, concerns and disputes
* Peerless caliber: in response to twenty years of educational improvement on variations of the prime reference source in linguistics, Encyclopedia of Language and Linguistics
* specific authorship: 350 of the world's top specialists introduced jointly for one purpose
* extraordinary editorial choice, overview and validation approach: Keith Brown and Sarah Ogilvie act as first-tier guarantors for article caliber and coverage
* Compact and cheap: one-volume structure makes this appropriate for private examine at any establishment attracted to areal, descriptive, or comparative language learn - and at a fragment of the price of the complete encyclopedia
Read or Download Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World (Concise Encyclopedias of Language and Linguistics) PDF
Similar linguistics books
Adopting a multi-disciplinary procedure, the e-book offers an intensive grounding in metaphor and notice which means, theories at the processing and knowing of metaphorical language, and metaphor in different languages and translation. Rosamund Moon and Murray Knowles, draw on a big variety of fabric to discover metaphor on the subject of textual content, discourse and society.
A close evaluation of the theories, ideas, learn tools, and findings within the box of language coverage is supplied the following in a single obtainable resource. the writer proposes new methodological, theoretical, and conceptual instructions and gives suggestions for doing language coverage research.
Narrative Inquiry in Language educating and studying examine offers an entry-level creation to analyze equipment utilizing tales, as information or as a way of providing findings, that's grounded in released empirical learn in the box of language educating and studying. It discusses easy definitions and ideas in narrative inquiry, explains how and why narrative equipment were utilized in language educating and studying examine, and descriptions different methods and themes lined by means of this examine.
Deciding upon and reading political, socio-psychological and symbolic borders, Language, Borders and id features a large, geographically assorted spectrum of border contexts, taking a multi-disciplinary method via combining sociolinguistics examine with human geography, anthropology and social psychology.
- English with an Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States
- Beiträge zur jüdisch-deutschen Sprachgeschichte: mit etymologischem Wörterbuch jüdischer Wörter in der deutschen Hochsprache (German Edition)
- New Trends in Crosslinguistic Influence and Multilingualism Research
- The Language of the Inka since the European Invasion (Texas Linguistics)
Extra info for Concise Encyclopedia of Languages of the World (Concise Encyclopedias of Language and Linguistics)